On the British Quilt List - a forum I have found interesting and helpful for ages, I stumbled across a quilting blogger whose post encouraged me to experiment more with using up my enormous scrap collection.
I have been playing with an adapted version for a couple of days, to make small blocks of hearts and flowers for a member of the group who sends them to anyone who is in trouble, or ill, or suffered a loss. My first block simply used up some of the one inch squares that come in sample packs of patchwork fabric from The Cotton Patch.
Then I tried something much simpler: I simply drew hearts on a piece of muslin and covered each heart with tiny scraps by stitching, folding and pressing until the shape was roughly covered.
I cut out the heart shapes and placed them on squares of background fabric with a little squirt of 555 glue to hold them in place. Then I put variegated thread in the machine and satin stitched all round the hearts. Easy peasy.
Three finished blocks
The scene of the crime, and two blocks that I made yesterday, one from one inch sample squares and the other experimenting with the new method. The small scrap bin is still overflowing!